Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Finishing Touches

Some video of the final additions to the paint job: http://www.vimeo.com/3263739

Off to the track to shakedown on Friday afternoon.

About a week left, hope nothing else goes BOOM!

Sunday, February 15, 2009

New bits and a 45 minute paintjob

Some in car video from the testing sessions. Nothing very interesting happens, but you can see my terrible hand position on the wheel compared to Jeff, and the wiring harness from the dash floating in the air every time the car goes into a hard left hand turn. Also have a look at the shifter moving all over the place when it's supposedly "in gear".


So the motor blew up on Sunday while testing at CSP. Jeff pulled the car into the pits about 10 laps into the 3rd session of the day and the car was only firing on one rotor. We pulled the plugs and found zero compression on the rear rotor. Cause of failure is still under investigation.

So we did what any all-American patriots who love their country would do...load that beeotch on the trailer and go home to pull the motor out.

2hrs and 45 minutes after the engine failure: http://vimeo.com/3233475

By last Wedsnday we had both motors out and were preparing for the install.

Motor out of both: http://vimeo.com/3233655

Today we finished the install of the good motor and tranny, got her buttoned up and took it out for a trial run.

The new motor flyby, top of 4th gear: http://vimeo.com/3233723

We got done with the install and testing a bit early so we decided to prep the car for it's Delorean paint job.

Prep for paint: http://vimeo.com/3233781

Sanded...8 minutes later: http://vimeo.com/3233821

Painted...maybe 15 minutes after sanding: http://vimeo.com/3233855

Another productive weekend! In two weeks from this post the race will be over and we will find out how the little time machine did.

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Check one two, testing, testing!!

Yesterday we had a great opportunity to head out to IMI, a karting track by Erie, and run the Lemons car for a few hours. I have to be honest, I was about85% sure that SOMETHING was going to break during testing. This car is 29 years old and hasn't been in running form for at least 5 years and we were about to take it out to a track and flog it repeatedly.

I'm happry to report, however, that nothing notable went wrong during the testing session. The car ran well, the suspension worked to the best of it's 29 year old ability, and the car ran a rock steady temerature at 180-185 degrees. Our main concern with this car was overheating and it looks like we have done enough to adress that issue sufficently.

Next up, Sunday we head to a much larger and faster track for what will probably end up being our last chance to shakedown the car before the big trip. Fingers crossed that everything survives.

Monday, February 2, 2009


So we have been working feverishly on the LeMons car trying to get it suited for a shakedown day at one of the local road courses. In the past two weekends we have finished the cage, installed the larger fuel pump and regulator, mounted the seat in a way that might not get us killed or worse, installed the Hawk brake pads, removed a lot of weight, and put on the new tires.

It has seen very limited runs around the neighborhood just to get a feel for things and make sure it doesn't overheat in the first 2 minutes of the race.

We have two shakedown sessions this week. One on Friday at IMI which is a karting track outside of Denver and the other will be done at a short road course used by the stat patrol for testing purposes. After this weekend we hope to have a good field test of the car under our belts and hoepfully not blow anything up.

More progress


A flyby testing of the car. Not legal. Not recommended. Not endorsed by any major political groups.


Our vented hood idea.


Our tail light solution.


Our seat modification process.


Back in your hole!!